As we approach January 20, we know that the people who will miss GWB the most is clearly the comedians, particularly when he’s the source of endless quality quotes – here’s a choice list of a few as collected by the AP:
- “I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.” – September 2000
- “Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?” – January 2000
- “There’s no doubt in my mind, not one doubt in my mind, that we will fail.” – Oct. 4, 2001
- “There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on… shame on you. Fool me… you can’t get fooled again.” – Sept. 17, 2002
- “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” – Aug. 5, 2004
- “We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job.” – Sept. 20, 2005
- “It was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship. After all, 60 years we were at war 60 years ago we were at war.” – June 29, 2006, speaking with Japanese PM Junichiro Koizumi
- “Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die.” – Dec. 7, 2006
- “Thank you, Your Holiness. Awesome speech.” – April 16, 2008, to the Pope
- “I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office.” – June 26, 2008
- “This thaw… took a while to thaw, it’s going to take a while to unthaw.” – Oct. 20, 2008, talking about the frozen credit market.
Here’s hoping some other character appears to make up for the lack of Bush or Palin on the world stage.