When buying a coat, remember to consider the following:
- Pockets. Proper pockets you can really jam you hands into. You can’t imagine how important this is until it’s 7:30 in the morning and there’s a bit of a breeze blowing.
- Check that it fits over your usual work stuff. A coat is not a substitute for your standard suit jacket.
- Make sure it’s longer than your usual suit length! Nothing like a short coat to make you look a fool.
- Check you can button it up so that little draughts can’t get in, coz that’s baaaaad.
- Side-slits to get at your pants-pockets would be useful, though.
- Check that it’s not going to whimp out in the rain, or whatever cheap-imitation-of you may have in your town.
- Be prepared to spend money (When I saw a £1000 suit from a non-designer brand, that freaked me a little)
My best piece of advice though?
- Move some where you’ll never need it. Like Singapore.